Search Engine Optimization for Chiropractors
2018 is just around the corner and if there’s one thing on most chiropractor’s minds its marketing their practice. It’s highly likely that if you’re a chiropractor one of your business goals is to grow you practice by a certain percentage. But how do you do this if you’ve tried everything including radio spots, TV commercials, and billboards?
These types of marketing techniques are known as outbound marketing. They rely on a sort of “spray and pray” method where you spray your marketing message to the masses and pray that at least one person is a part of your target market and interested in what you have to offer. Read more about the difference in these two marketing approaches here.
While there’s a place for these types of marketing techniques, they’re far less effective than other marketing methods that are growing in popularity as word gets out on their efficacy.
Inbound marketing, which includes search engine optimization, social media, and highly targeted online advertisements is the best way to target people who are actively searching for and interested in what you have to offer.
Think about it. Does it make more sense to target the masses with the hope that you’ll either create a need that motivated them to contact your practice or is it better to target people who are actively looking for a chiropractor and are at some point in the sales funnel where you can continue to move them along? The latter clearly makes more sense because you spend less to attract these people and can easily measure the value you get for each customer you acquire.
Hands down the most effective inbound marketing practice is search engine optimization. SEO is the practice of creating content that meets the needs of people performing certain searches with keywords that are relevant to your business. Think about the number of times you go online to find something you’re looking for. Whether it’s a local restaurant that specializes in Italian cuisine or butcher that sells an exclusive cut of meat, search engines like Google and Bing are where people go to get specific answers to specific questions they’re asking.
So how does this help chiropractors? Because chiropractors offer a unique service that people seek out locally, SEO is the ideal way to target people in your area. Here’s an overview of how it works.
- Local SEO. Local search engine optimization utilizes directory and business listings on websites like Google and Bing to deliver local business results to people performing a search.Let’s consider a person searching for a chiropractor in Anaheim, California. This person will likely type “chiropractor Anaheim” or “chiropractors near me” in the search bar. Search engines can tell by a person’s IP address where the search is being performed from. They then deliver the best results based off of business listings in their system and websites that display content that is relevant to the search.In order for local SEO to be effective you must make it a point to create and maintain these listings with the most accurate and up-to-date information. Failure to do so will negatively affect your ability to rank online.
- Create amazing content. In order to achieve a high ranking on search engines it’s important that you create content that is very specific to your industry, offerings, and area. Don’t rely on crummy scraped content from other websites. That’s stealing and a surefire way to lose credibility with search engines.Instead, create custom content for each page on your website. This content should speak to the unique offerings of your practice and be written in a voice that appeals to your target audience. While in the past people used to write for search engines and create content that was rich in keywords but poor in quality, today’s search engines look for content that is more human.
- Focus on engagement. Because search engines are looking for content that is more human, how people engage with your website will make a difference. If they see people clicking through to your website and spending a lot of time on it, then that will tell the search engine that your website appeals to the right people.If you find yourself attracting visitors, but losing them as soon as they land on your site, then your bounce rate is likely sky high and your on-site SEO strategy needs to be reevaluated. Read all about on-site SEO in this article. This could indicate your title tags might need to be revamped, your content isn’t ideal, or your meta tags don’t quite get the job done.
- Get social. Social media plays an important part in search engine optimization because of the fact that any content you post on your networks can and will be indexed by Bing and Google. This means that even posts on Facebook needs to be optimized for searches.It’s also important that chiropractor websites include links to their social profiles so that they can begin to show a clear linking network between those profiles and the website. This also helps to increase your following on social networks.
- Pay attention to chiropractic website design. While search engine optimization is all about content, how content is delivered through a website plays a big part in its success. For example, Google recently announced that they are going to highly favor websites that are responsively designed. This means that regardless of the device a person visits from, the website will render perfectly and function as it should. If your website is not designed to be mobile responsive, then all other SEO efforts will fail.Additionally, how your navigation is laid out, how graphics are loaded on your site, and even your site’s load time all make a difference in your website’s ranking and performance.